The Natural Recovery Plan Book
What is your book about?
It’s about how mercury toxicity from dental amalgam fillings is the underlying cause of many serious, degenerative and chronic illnesses and is specifically the cause of chronic fatigue syndrome, ME and fibromyalgia. Click here for more information about The Natural Recovery Plan book.
What does it say about fatigue syndromes?
That all fatigue syndromes are slightly different expressions of the same underlying problem which is primarily mercury toxicity from dental amalgam fillings.
This poisons all the biochemical pathways of the body affecting such functions as energy production and digestion and undermining the immune system. This means that the body cannot mount an effective response to the microbes that it encounters and sufferers typically have several latent viral and/or bacterial infections and problems with overgrowth of yeasts (which are normal inhabitants of the body).
What are your credentials?
I have both a UK degree and a US Master’s degree in dentistry and 20 years work experience as a dentist, latterly running my own central London dental practice. I then retrained as a naturopath obtaining 8 diplomas in various subjects including 2 forms of kinesiology, so I have the perspective of having trained in both conventional and natural medicine – and dentistry!.
I also have the personal experience of slowly degenerating health over a lifetime and then the process of recovery, so I have lived what I write about and have also witnessed recovery in others.
For more details see the About Alison Adams page.
How did you come to write your book?
I came from a family where there was a big history of autoimmune disorders and where the women, in particular, tended to die quite young.
I had chronic health problems from birth and as a result had lifelong treatment using various different drugs, therapies and 21 operations. Eventually I became unable to continue working and realising that I might be in the process of dying and that the medical profession had no real answers for me I ended up retraining as a naturopath in a bid to solve my own health problems.
I followed a mercury detoxification protocol and it became obvious that something profound was going on and also – over time – that I was gradually starting to improve.
When, after learning a particular postgraduate technique ALL my clients tested positive to mercury toxicity I became convinced that occult mercury toxicity was a cause of a lot of illness. Although recognised by some specialist dentists and health practitioners, I felt that even they underestimated the scale of the problem.
Realising that I had not been able to find this information myself when I was ill and in desperate need, I determined to write the book in order to share with other fatigue sufferers what it had taken me so long and cost me so much to discover.
Who is it for?
Whilst the book is obviously aimed at chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS/ME) and fibromyalgia sufferers, it also has direct applications for those suffering with autoimmune diseases and more generally, anyone with a chronic, serious or degenerative disorder who is keen to try and recover rather than manage their symptoms. Anyone concerned about the issue of mercury toxicity in particular and metal toxicity in general would also be well advised to read the book before attempting any detoxification or removal of their amalgam fillings.
Our Natural Detoxification Programme
What form does your detoxification plan take?
The plan outlined involves a multi-pronged approach using diet, exercise, rest, supplements, addressing unresolved emotional issues and the replacement of dental work. The plan sets out what to do before, during and after replacement of dental amalgam fillings.
What might someone expect by following this plan?
Recovering from these illnesses is not a quick fix because every tissue in the body has been affected by one of the most potent toxins known. The speed of recovery is strictly limited by what your compromised organs of excretion can cope with and also there is a limit to what people can tolerate.
The symptoms suffered during detoxification vary from mildly to very unpleasant. However, as you come to understand that it is the only way to recover you become prepared to tolerate these symptoms which may not be much worse than the symptoms of the illness anyway.
There are 3 main routes out of the body and they are in the urine, in the stool and through the skin. Rashes and changes in bowel habits are the most common side-effects, along with feeling emotional and difficulty sleeping.
What is naturopathic medicine?
Naturopathic medicine uses natural means to treat illness and aims to works with the healing power of the body. The central tenet of naturopathy is to identify and remove the cause of illness rather than treating symptoms as is the case with ‘conventional’ medicine.
What is kinesiology?
Kinesiology was developed by an American chiropractor 40 years ago and it is based upon the energy meridian system outlined by Traditional Chinese Medicine. It uses muscle testing to communicate with the client’s body to establish both the cause and the preferred treatment for a variety of ailments and uses supplements and non-invasive corrective techniques.
Dental Amalgam (Tooth Fillings Amalgam)
What is dental amalgam?
Dental amalgam is half liquid mercury and half powdered metals such as silver, copper, tin and zinc. We have been using dental amalgam for about 180 years, so that is 6 or 7 generations of use and it was introduced long before any safety testing was required.
When you mix the different metals together and insert them into the moisture of the mouth, we now know that they become electrically active and as they discharge their current, they emit mercury vapour. In this time-released manner, 50% of the mercury is lost by 7 years and 80% by 20 years – all of which slowly accumulates within the owner’s body.
The average filling contains 1 gram of mercury, the average dentist inserts 1.5 kilos into their patients every year and 150 metric tonnes of mercury are used in dental amalgam globally every year. Unfortunately, a new ‘high copper’ formulation of amalgam (non-gamma II) was introduced in the mid-1970s which has been shown to release 50 times as much mercury as the previous formulation.
When amalgam was introduced no health problems were immediately apparent, however, the growing catalogue of ‘mysterious’ illnesses such as Alzheimer’s disease and multiple sclerosis started to be identified a few decades after its introduction.
The mercury from dental amalgam has been allowed to accumulate within the human population over the generations as much of the mother’s burden passes to the child in the womb and breast milk and I maintain that autism, dyslexia, allergies, childhood cancers and so on are the end result of this process.
If you haven’t done so already watch Video: Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia and Mercury, or The Smoking Tooth Video, or refer to the articles Mercury Poisoning From Dental Amalgam, Alzheimer’s and Autism: The Mercury Connection, Mercury, Memory and Alzheimer’s, Hearing and Balance Problems: Iatrogenic Causes, Miscarriage, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Depression and Mercury Toxicity, Is Dental Amalgam Safe for Humans? or the reseach paper Facts About Mercury and Dental Amalgam (101 pages) and/or other research papers.
What do we know about the health effects of mercury?
Mercury is an incredibly potent toxin and its profound mental, physical and psychological effects have been recognised for centuries.
It can exist in lots of different chemical forms which all have different actions so that every bodily system is affected and it can pass through all the barriers within the body such as the blood/brain barrier or placental barrier of a pregnant woman to accumulate in her developing child.
In its pure liquid or vapour form it is the third most toxic substance known to man, but when transformed into a biological ‘organic’ form it can become between one hundred and one thousand times more toxic, which means that it is far and away the most potent toxin known to man!
It poisons all the hundreds of thousands of different biochemical reactions that take place within the body and it is also a highly potent neurotoxin which means that it is magnetised towards, and also highly destructive of, nervous tissue.
This is why it often goes undetected because much of the body burden is firmly bound within the nerves where it can cause such disorders as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases and multiple sclerosis.
For more information refer to the articles Symptoms of Mercury Poisoning, Alzheimer’s and Autism: The Mercury Connection, A History of Mercury Poisoning, Mercury Toxicity Questionnaire, Depression and Mercury Toxicity, Mercury Toxicity, Mercury Poisoning From Dental Amalgam, Is Multiple Sclerosis Mercury Toxicity? or the research articles listed in the Research section particularly the Facts About Mercury and Dental Amalgam (PDF 101 pages) or Dental Amalgam Fillings and Chronic Health Conditions: An Overview (PDF 5 pages) or listen to the interviews with Dr Alison Adams such as this Dr Adams’ CMN Interview.
What evidence do you have to support your assertions?
- 600 pages referencing 4,000 papers that have appeared in peer-reviewed journals in all sorts of disciplines.
- One article documents 60,000 cases of recovery from a wide variety of illnesses by combining the removal of tooth filling amalgam with a programme of detoxification.
- Practitioners working in this field have documented 60-90% improvement in most conditions and those who follow a particularly rigorous protocol claim 97% improvement in symptoms. Click for supporting research paper.
- The US Centre for Disease Control studied the health of 11,000 people in a very large NHANES study in 2001 and concluded that the number of amalgam fillings was significantly correlated to many serious and degenerative disorders including cancer and MS.
- Murray Vimy et al at the University of Calgary, Canada have conducted a lot of both animal and human studies over the last two decades that demonstrate categorically that mercury is emitted from dental amalgam fillings, that it is distributed throughout the body and that it especially accumulates within the embryo/foetus of a pregnant mother. Click for their Smoking Tooth Video or video showing the neurological damage caused by mercury toxicity.
- Many other countries in Europe (Russia, Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Norway, etc) have already considered the evidence and banned the use of amalgam. Other countries such as Finland, Canada, Japan and the UK have introduced restrictions/partial bans on the use of amalgam. Some states in the US require warnings to be posted in dental offices and the risks to be explained to the patient. Click to read an article about the banning of dental amalgam in other countries.
- The World Health Organisation recently came out in favour of a global phase-down preparing for a phase-out of the use of mercury in medicine and dentistry. See WHO Report: Update for Dentists and The Use of Mercury in Medicine and Dentistry.
- That mercury is released from amalgam fillings and that it is a potent toxin is not disputed by anyone. Academics merely argue about the form, the amount, the time taken, the prevalence and the damage caused.
- Dentists are in the front line on this issue as they are exposed to 400 times the safe working levels of mercury (TLV as determined by the WHO) and their health record is very poor. Compared to the general population they have: 7 X the suicide rate; twice as many brain tumours; 3.5 X as many miscarriages and still births; more kidney, heart and lung diseases, etc. Click for a research paper documenting The Health of Dental Personnel.
- The US Food and Drug Administration was forced in a recent lawsuit to take down reassuring statements from their website and to post a statement warning about the dangers this deadly toxin poses to the unborn child. They did so briefly before reneging on the deal by recategorising amalgam (with bandages and glasses). Click here for an article about the FDA approval controversy.
- All of the symptoms of fatigue syndromes are recognised effects of mercury poisoning.
- The US Food and Drug Administration and the American Dental Association have recently removed reassuring statements about amalgam from their websites and the US Centre for Disease Control has removed an entire webpage refuting amalgam as a cause of illness.
- My personal and professional experience of witnessing recovery.
- Finally, we have been doing something as plainly inadvisable as implanting the second most deadly substance known to man in our mouths in time-release form for 7 generations. How much more evidence could we possibly need?
Why has no-one else identified the link between dental amalgam and illness?
They have. There are many dentists and health practitioners around the world working in specialist clinics, particularly in countries like Germany that are very well aware of the link between mercury poisoning and ill health.
However, the medical profession fundamentally does not recognise that most illness is toxicity, so they are not finding the evidence because they are not looking for it. If, for example, you had a breast lump removed or died of a heart attack, the sample would not be sent for toxicological analysis. And if you went back to your dentist to say that you had not been well since having dental treatment, they would tell you that the two events were not connected.
Also, since the mercury is tightly bound to nerves and within the cells you need to administer a chelating agent to dislodge it first before it will show up in blood or urine tests.
There are also a number of variables that confound making the link including the number and size of amalgam fillings, the presence of other metals in the mouth, whether the individual is exposed to electromagnetic radiation, their genetic ability to detoxify, their nutritional status, whether they are stressed and so on.
How do you respond to the fact that the authorities claim dental amalgam is safe?
First, a lot of authorities don’t think using dental amalgam is safe and its use has been banned in a number of other countries including Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Austria and Japan.
Second, there are lots of precedents where the authorities have been wrong or have actively concealed the truth from the people to protect their own interests. The American Dental Association, for example, holds the patents for amalgam and so has an obvious vested interest in its continued use.
We have in our time used asbestos with abandon, x-rayed children’s feet in shoe shops and used DDT as fertiliser. All these appear self-evidently bad ideas now, but all were embraced enthusiastically until the consequences subsequently became undeniable.
Dental amalgam was never subjected to any kind of safety testing before use and so now we are in the position of having to prove that this material is harmful beyond all doubt, rather than having to prove that it is safe before it was released for use – as should have been the case.
Mercury poisoning produces different effects in everyone, there is a delay between exposure and any ill-effects and the mercury poisoning is passed down through the generations, so the link between cause and effect has not been immediately apparent. This is complicated by various factors including the fact that even if doctors were looking for it (and most of the time they are not) it is still hard to detect.
Part of the resistance to change may also relate to the fact that for many years we didn’t have any viable alternatives, but now we do and other countries have already banned dental amalgam and transitioned to a new way of working using mostly composite plastic filling materials.
As stated above, the World Health Organisation (WHO) have recently called for a global mercury phase-down over a phase-out for purely logistical purposes. See WHO Report: Update for Dentists.
Can’t find your question here?
If you have a question that you cannot find the answer to, please first search the site and if you still cannot find an answer contact me and I will do my best to respond and to include your question and answer here for future reference.